KarenH's Reviews > A Kiss at Midnight

A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James

When we were little girls, we all knew the story of Cinderella...the rags to riches to rags plight of an impoverished beauty who is granted one unforgettable night at a glorious ball with a handsome prince. That might have been a long time ago but none of us has forgotten the love story of Cinderella and her Prince Charming...and the most romantic "happily ever after" in fairy-tale land. A Kiss at Midnight is Eloisa James' gift to those little girls - all grown up now but still believing in the magic of true love, handsome heroes and the perfect, fairy-tale ending.

This story doesn't have any paranormal tweaks...no rats becoming footmen or pumpkins transformed into carriages. It does, however, have a most charming prince who studies archeology and a palace full of odd animals and even stranger people who the prince has taken under his wing. Alas! What an enormous expense it is to keep them all and so Prince Gabriel is resigned to accepting his arranged betrothal to a wealthy Russian princess.

Kate Daltry has been living the life of a cast-aside relation for many years. Once her father died, Kate's stepmother completely took over their London estate and set about making Kate's stepsister the belle of the ton. The stepsister, Victoria, manages to snag a peer but due to unfortunate circumstances, cannot accompany said peer to visit his uncle, the prince, to receive a royal blessing on the union. Kate is forced to go in Victoria's place.

From their first encounter, sparks fly between Kate and Gabriel - and a battle of wits ensues. They are, however, most intrigued by each other; and, managing to spend a great deal of quality time together, are helpless to falling in love. Soon the battle of wits that brought them together transforms, over the course of the story, into a conscientious battle between right and wrong...between letting love rule and loving enough to let go. Add to this dilemma a princess who is not only beautiful but has a sweet countenance as well...also enamored with the prince and by all means has the rights to him...and you've got a twist on the story that no longer resembles the fairy tale. There are many laugh-out-loud moments and a few poignant, tearful scenes made that much worse because there really are no wicked stepmothers to blame for what can never be between Kate and Gabriel. Evil thy name is fate...indestructible and eternal.

Do not lose sight of your girlhood fantasy, however, as James works a little magic of her own to make things right. And don't be caught up with any historical inadequacies you find (as James points out at the end of the book). Simply take it as it's been presented to you...a grownup version of Cinderella written precisely for the incurable romantic that you undoubtedly are. Perhaps, when you are finished reading the book, you will close your eyes and dream...of beautiful ball gowns, sinfully handsome princes, and the glass slipper you left behind.

5* stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss at Midnight.

Rane AWWwwWW Great Review Karen! This sounds like a sweet romance story!

Ally72 Wonderful review, Karen! I am excited to read this one!!!

message 3: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Lovely review, K2! I'm wary of Eloisa James' books, but this one sounds interesting. Since you know me pretty well, I've got to ask: is there anything in this book that will make me mad? You know what I'm talking about, LOL.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Beautiful review, Karen. I'm going to get this book, thanks to your review!

message 5: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Nice review, and thanks for the 'visual aid'!

message 6: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Great review Karen! Who doesn't love Cinderella?

message 7: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Fab review Karen! Maybe this will be the book that starts me off on Eloisa James.

KarenH Thanks for the nice comments everyone! The only problem I had with this book is the same thing that irritated me in Desperate Duchesses...EJ spends too much time on her secondary characters that don't add anything to the story. Aside from that, it was a sweet story...somewhat like the original. Wait...I take that back. I don't recall Prince Charming doing Cinderella from behind outside the ball! ;)

message 9: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina KarenH wrote: "EJ spends too much time on her secondary characters that don't add anything to the story."

That's something that I really dislike and the big reason His Captive Lady ended up being a 3-star read to me.

KarenH Dina wrote: "Lovely review, K2! I'm wary of Eloisa James' books, but this one sounds interesting. Since you know me pretty well, I've got to ask: is there anything in this book that will make me ..."

Not really. But the prince definitely had the best of both worlds. Too much was made over how perfect the prince & princess were together. At one dance, he asked her to dance a waltz - knowing that would seal his fate forever - while Kate was waiting for him back in his room. The cad!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, wait... is there no HEA in this book? The prince is already married but has a girlfriend?

KarenH Hi Dhes. No, he is betrothed to a Russian princess. There is a HEA

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish KarenH wrote: "Hi Dhes. No, he is betrothed to a Russian princess. There is a HEA"

I guess that's a little bit better. Makes me nervous though.

message 14: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Great review Karen! I've added this to my wish-list!