Liralen's Reviews > Losing It

Losing It by Sandy McKay

Aug 12, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, ed-etc, z-2016, reviewed

Mostly this is your average teen-in-hospital story. I'll forgo discussion of plot and characters and so on, because there are two things that made me tilt my head in confusion.

First: this was written in 2008 and set in 2005, and the protagonist, Johanna, is writing letters from the hospital to (for the most part) her best friend, Issy. For the most part I can go with that; there are some places where the writing is a little unrealistic for letters, but I can give it some leeway. The weirder thing is that as the letters go on, they start looking an awful lot like emails: one-liners, sometimes unsigned, etc. People send letters like that, sure, but...not often. And when you consider how long it takes for post to be delivered...maybe that's why the letters aren't dated.

Second: the pictures. Why is there semi-random clip art in the book? Talk about bringing it back to 2005. There's a little image of a plant, meant to represent the plant in Johanna's room. A jar full of 'stale gingernuts' in the common room (which seems unwise, in a unit of eating-disordered patients). Crumpled paper, a feather, prunes, chocolates, a scale hovering near 0 (repeated several times throughout)... If these were sketches, I could see them as part of the letters (and there are a few sketches, in Issy's letters), but they aren't. So why these things? Why not things of more importance to the book? I'm sure there's some kind of logic that I'm missing, but it mostly just felt odd to me.

Ah well. Quick read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing It.

02/03/2016 marked as: to-read