Holly's Reviews > The Phantom Diaries

The Phantom Diaries by Kailin Gow

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: own, death-ghosts, historical-fiction, romance, series, witches_magic
Read from December 26 to 27, 2010, read count: 1

I am a mild Phanatic. I read the original novel by Gaston Leroux earlier this year and I'm enamored with the movie starring Gerard Butler. I love the story, except for the fact that Christine didn't end up with the Phantom. So I thought this would be the story to change that.

Well, it sort of is. Taking place in 2009, Annette comes to the New York opera house to become a seamstress. With the help of a mysterious vocal coach, she becomes the new lead and wins the hearts of many. She begins to wonder if her vocal coach is the Phantom of the Opera. But that would be impossible, right? That Phantom was around in the 1880s. Is it really that impossible?

I more or less liked Annette in the beginning. She was a sweet girl. But the more the story went on, the more I didn't care for her. She does some morally questionable things (take her relationships for example) that really got on my nerves. "Oh, I didn't mean to hurt you," is pretty much always her attitude around her numerous suitors. That's part of the reason I stopped reading the House of Night series. So I didn't like that. But Eric is, as always, so sexy. I wish we could have seen more of him in that light than we did. I only really got that impression of him in the beginning and it faded the more the story went on.

Will I read the sequel? Yes. Will I rush out to get it? No.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Diaries.