Catherine's Reviews > Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord

Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord by Sarah MacLean

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: england, historical, romance, bad-childhood, on-the-run, read-2010, series
Read on December 26, 2010 — I own a copy

This book was enjoyable, but it wasn't without its problems. I still have high hopes for the third book, Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart, but this one didn't thrill me the way the first book did.

Nick seemed different than he was first presented in Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake. He seemed more charming and fun there whereas in this book he felt a little flat. I was told he was interesting and sexy, but for some reason I just didn't feel it. That's not to say I disliked him, I enjoyed reading about him, but that's about where it left me.

Isabel was both likable and not. Her life to date has been a hard one. She's basically been on her own since she was seventeen. Yes, she's gathered a family of friends around her, but their survival rests on her. No wonder she had such a problem leaning when Nick comes around! What happens when you trust and that person fails you? You're not the only one left to pick up the pieces when so many people depend on you.

So, Isabel's position was understandable, but it was also frustrating. It was hard for the relationship to develop because Isabel was so hot and cold toward Nick. He wasn't on the up and up at all times, but he was the one I eventually felt sorry for. Isabel could be pretty thoughtless in her determination to protect herself.

The women of the Minerva House were very intriguing. I wish we would have gotten more information on them. They weren't completely flat characters, but there wasn't a lot of depth there. It was still nice to have Isabel in charge of such a project. It's also nice to think that places like that were out there.

The Duke of Leighton was a character I was definitely intrigued by in the first book. His interactions with Juliana caught my attention and made me eager to get their book. I'm sorry to say that his popularity with me has suffered a blow. I'm still curious to get into his head, but not quite as eager.

It's unfortunate, but he was an ass toward the end of this book. It's much easier to accept his about face in affection with a stranger (as was the case with Juliana) than it was here. I won't say more than that, but I wasn't happy about it.

I'm still interested in the third book, but I'm not really hanging on the edge of my seat anymore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord.

12/26/2010 page 21
6.0% "LOL! Gabriel cracked me up with his jokes about being the hotter twin." 9 comments
12/26/2010 page 56
16.0% ""It seems a good thing I came today, Lady Isabel. It appears you may need saving again." The smile she offered was angelic--and entirely false. "I have survived twenty-four years without a keeper, my lord. I need not acquire one today."" 4 comments
12/26/2010 page 100
28.0% ""She should be locked in a room for sanity's sake. His sanity."" 1 comment
12/26/2010 page 124
35.0% """I do not want to stop the rain, Rock. I simply want to be able to leave this house." "Do you?" Nick eyes narrowed on his friend. "Yes. You doubt me?" "Not at all." Rock returned to his book, refusing to rise to Nick's bait. He'd always been difficult in that way.""
12/26/2010 page 149
42.0% ""Isabel opened her mouth to retort, but found she had nothing to say. She closed her mouth. How frustrating. In novels, the heroine always had something witty to say."" 18 comments
12/26/2010 page 203
57.0% ""I think that Isabel might not like the idea of us negotiating her marriage without her in the room." "I am earl, you know. This is the business of men." Nick barked in laughter. "And as a man who has a sister nearly as obstinate as your own, I suggest you never say that again as long as you would like to remain alive." - Ah, to be a ten year old earl. :)" 19 comments
12/26/2010 page 268
75.0% "I find it rather ridiculous that Nick was able to turn that conversation back on her. This better not resolve how I think it will. >:|" 2 comments
12/26/2010 page 304
85.0% "Ah, Leighton, you are coming off as a huge ass." 6 comments
12/26/2010 page 326
91.0% "Poor Nick. Ouch. :("

Comments (showing 1-27)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Tammy Walton Grant Great review Catherine! Exactly how I felt about the book -- I couldn't really connect with either the H/h, which was disappointing for me because I loved the first book so much.

I think I'll read the third book, but I'm hoping Leighton will be more the man he was in 9 Rules than the jackass he was in this book.

Catherine Thanks, Tammy. Can you believe him? I kind of liked the mystery of him turning all snobby on Juliana--seemed like good conflict--but it did not work for me here. Like I said, it's easier to take when it's a relative stranger he's doing it to.

Tammy Walton Grant I couldn't believe it was the same person! He'll have to do a 180 for the next book --- kinda hard to love a Hero who is that rigid and unforgiving.

Whatever the 'magic' was in 9 Rules, this book just didn't have it for me -- I even found myself skipping the naughty bits (very unusual for me!). I got tired of reading about all the oral sex she was getting, lol.

Hard to top her first book, I'm afraid my expectations were just too high.

Catherine I don't think it was the high expectations--at least in my case. I was feeling pretty mellow and not terribly excited about this one for some reason. So I went in with low expectations. I didn't think it was bad, but it was pretty interchangeable with most of the HR's out there.

His behavior seemed pretty startling to me as well. Hell, even Wulf (Slightly Dangerous) the biggest stickler known to man wouldn't have acted like that.

Tammy Walton Grant Are those (Slightly series) books good? I've only tried one Mary Balogh book and it stunk. Probably my fault as it was part of a series, but it's stopped me from picking up any of her other books.

Catherine It's my favorite series by her to date. I didn't enjoy every single one, but I enjoyed most of them. The style is very different from HR's like those written by this author though. Which did you read by her?

Tammy Walton Grant I tried to read The Devil's Web. I only made it through the first couple of chapters, though. The narrative was so convoluted I couldn't figure out what was going on. I read a couple of other reviews that mentioned the same problem.

Just curious - how do you mean different? Are her books similar to any other author?

message 20: by Catherine (last edited Dec 27, 2010 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Catherine I haven't read that one so I don't know if it was typical of her style or not.

I'm going to be lazy and just direct you to a previous conversation I've had about her work before. Look at the comments for the review. Comment #11 is where I start talking about it.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick It would be tough to follow in book 1's footsteps, that's for sure!

Catherine UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "It would be tough to follow in book 1's footsteps, that's for sure!"

It was a pretty good book. :) Have you read this one yet?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Nope, I have it, but haven't read it. I find I'm spending more time on goodreads TALKING about books than I am actually reading them! I used to be able to get through a full lengther in no more than 2 days... now it takes me 3 or 4.

Catherine I seem to be unable to resist the pull of GR too.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick And wow... look at you and I actually having a discussion again! LOL Finally on at the same time.

But I'm heading out for a bit, so I'll catch up with you later!

*hugs*

Catherine LOL! You comment on how we're finally getting a chance to chat and then you leave! :P

Talk to you later. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Catherine wrote: "LOL! You comment on how we're finally getting a chance to chat and then you leave! :P

Talk to you later. :)"

Hey, the kids wanted to eat. Again! Go figure. I just fed them last week!

Catherine Ingrates.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Catherine wrote: "Ingrates."

Indeed! And they even got an extra helping on Christmas Day!

Katyana Yeah, I don't believe I liked this one as much as the first either. The situation was interesting, but I agree that Nick felt like a completely different character.

I think I had more sympathy for Isabel, though. I got where she was coming from, and I also get her not wanting to surrender her freedom to anyone. She may have been struggling in her life, to hold everything together and keep everyone safe, but at least her life was her own. I can't imagine putting my life into someone else's hands after what she'd gone through, and in that day and age, that's what marriage was for the woman. *shudder*

As for Leighton... *sigh* It was disappointing. I mean, he's an ass. He was an ass in the first book too. But firstly... did he not expect that this would likely be the reason sister ran away? Really? Never occurred to him? Come on. Secondly... I thought the way he was acting towards Isabel was pretty unforgivable. She is HELPING people. She helped your sister. She had ZERO to do with the mess the girl got herself in, she was just there as an option in the aftermath. Talk about using her as a scapegoat. I would have liked to see her throw a few things in Mr. Perfect's face.

Anyway. I think I liked it more than you, but yeah, it had some rough patches.

Catherine I had a lot of sympathy for Isabel too. It made it hard for me to decide my feelings because I felt defensive on her behalf when it seemed like she was being cast as a bit unreasonable for not being more trusting. But it also made it hard for me to really connect with the relationship. Maybe I needed it to be longer?

Keri Great review Catherine. I liked this one better than I did the first one.

Catherine Thanks, Keri! I'm glad you enjoyed this one a lot. I absolutely love when I enjoy each additional book in a series as well.

Ronyell Awesome review Catherine!! I agree that Isabel got on my nerves also with the way she treated Nick throughout the entire book.

Catherine Thanks, Ronyell. I hope the third one is better.

Ronyell Me too!

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I heard the third one is just as good as the first. That makes me happy!

Catherine I've heard that too. I can't wait to read about Simon and Julianna together.

Rose May Not to jump in and be a stalker (even though I totally am) book 3 is definitely worth your time. Also, I LOVED Slightly Dangerous - but not the rest of the Slightly series by Balogh. There's my two cents - sorry to barge in... late.