Tom Gase's Reviews > You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation

You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried by Susannah Gora

Aug 15, 10

Read from August 12 to 15, 2010

This book surprised me on just how good it was. Read it in about three days and it really took me back to high school when me and my friends used to watch these films. I was in high school about a decade after Breakfast Club came out, but the films like that one and Ferris Buellers Day Off are still classics for me, to the point where I still consider the later to be my favorite comedy of all time.

I like how the author, Susannah Gora, goes in chronological order with the films and how they made the Brat Pack. I liked all the info on the David Blum article, which I now think was a ploy to get this guy famous. But it did make the Brat Pack famous too, just not always in a good way. I liked the chapters where it told where all the actors are to this day, I always wondered what happened to some of the actors.

My favorite part of the book though is the pages on Alan Ruck after his Ferris Bueller part of Cameron. I couldn't believe that he worked at a Sears for awhile just to make ends meet. I'm in a similar situation, although not even close to as big as Ruck's, having giving up writing for a newspaper to work anywhere else for awhile to make ends meet. The story of Ruck's is very inspirational. I met him at a screening of the film in 2006, and he was a very nice guy, someone I would want to hang out with. I hope the rest of his acting career goes great. Can't believe Emilio Estevez turned down the part of Cameron, although I can't see him doing the same kind of job that Ruck did.

I also like the chapter/pages on the band Simple Minds, and how they originally didn't want to do the song Don't You Forget About Me (which made their career, even though they have some other good songs). Ditto for Peter Gabriel for his song used in the film, Say Anything. That film still contains one of the best lines of all time: I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen.

I recommend this book for any one who is in the film business, and anyone who is a fan of John Hughes films. Five stars all the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried.

08/12/2010 page 30