lynne naranek's Reviews > The Colorado Kid

Aug 12, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010
Read from August 10 to 12, 2010

The only reason I picked this book up from the library was SyFy (ugh!) Channel's Haven that is based on this book... that and in its opening credits there's an old newspaper article with a headline about a Rev Randall Flagg, the walking dude himself, yet another link to the Dark Tower...

The book itself is nothing like the series. And this is a review of the book, so enough about the show :)

The story takes place over the course of a few hours, between two elderly men of Moose-Lookit Island who run the local newspaper with their young intern who is nearing the end of her internship, and is being tested, as it were, to stay on.

Through a whole lot of talking, the mystery of The Colorado Kid emerges: a body is found on a beach, gets identified almost 1.5 years later, and the question of how (and why) he made his way from Colorado to Maine in a few hours only to meet his death is explored. No resolution is ever put forth, because the objective of this tale is to revel in the mystery.

My bit of speculation: that the Kid somehow crossed over the world we see in The Talisman, where distances seem shorter, where the journey to the coast would have taken less time than in our world. Of course, why he would have access, and why he seemed to know that he might end up dead, remain unanswered questions.

Overall a mildly dissatisfying read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colorado Kid.