Cindy's Reviews > Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America

Albion's Seed by David Hackett Fischer
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Albion's Seed.

03/10/2011 page 93
10.0% "Puritan sex!" 3 comments
03/14/2011 page 207
23.0% "Finished the Puritan folkways section. Several surprises, and lots of groundwork to understand later founding fathers' backgrounds. A must-read for anyone from Mass. *cough*Alex*cough*"
06/15/2011 page 252
28.0% "Finally get back to this. I'm on "South of England to Virginia: The migration of indentured servants and distressed cavaliers, 1642-1675""
06/24/2011 page 419
46.0% "I would not want to have lived in 17th cent. Virginia. It sounds even more violent, sexist, and classist than I would have guessed. Next up: "North Midlands to the Delaware: The Friends' Migration." Or, as I like to think of it: Quakin' with the Quakers." 8 comments
06/27/2011 page 605
66.0% "Last section: Borderlands to the Backcountry: The flight from North Britain 1717-1775. I've scanned the first pages to figure out what the "backcountry" is, but haven't figured it out yet."
12/13/2011 page 605
66.0% "Seeing if I can finish this and TCoMC before the end of the year." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dree (new)

Dree This looks good, if long and not very readable. Maybe you could get on it and write a fab review/summary for me? Anytime you feel ready.

Cindy Hahaha. Good thing the university has a copy. A new hardback is $149 at Amazon?! (Lots of other editions, though.)

I'll take a flip through it this weekend and let you know what the first impression is... bummer it's 27 pages short of the upper-tier floor-joist status.

Cindy BTW, if I do this, can you make me this?:

message 4: by Dree (last edited Feb 24, 2011 10:30PM) (new)

Dree Actually, I could make that. I bet you really just want this:

[image error]

Did that work?

message 5: by Dree (new)

Dree No, it didn't:

Scroll down to the 3rd picture. This car used to be in our holiday parade every year. We have many pictures.

Cindy Oh, crap, I totally want that car! I can just picture the geeks at Caltech drooling as I cruised campus.

message 7: by Dree (new)

Dree Elementary-age boys also think it's awesome.

Cindy So, I picked this up at the library. It's really pathetically marked up, so I'm not sure if I'll read this copy. Thumbing through it, it looks pretty involved and academic. Lots of tables.

message 9: by Dree (new)

Dree Hmmm...I like tables. Unless they are in 6 pt type.

message 10: by Dree (new)

Dree So you decided to try it? Or did you get a different copy?

Cindy Yup, I'm giving it a whirl! Same marked-up copy. (grrr) And most those mark-ups are lame, lame, lame.

I *love* that Fischer is really documenting his sources. It is a pretty dense text so far, so this will probably take me a while!

message 12: by Dree (new)

Dree I read endnotes. Which is why I prefer endnotes. I am a DORK.

Take you awhile--a week? 2?

Cindy Dree wrote: "I read endnotes. Which is why I prefer endnotes. I am a DORK.

He's documenting in lavish footnotes - lots of quantitative data... and tables! and explanations!

Take you awhile--a week? 2?"

Hahahaha. Yeah, I'm thinking much longer than that. Lessee, it's 20% longer than Team of Rivals, and at least 50% denser/more academic, so I'm guessing it's going to take me 6 weeks? No way I can read this thing exclusively.

message 14: by Dree (new)

Dree I prefer footnotes. I am getting a cold, and I think it is becoming horribly obvious.

You could read 9 books at a time like me ;) Only 3-4 are generally active. I am somewhat at the mercy of the library and my queue. Which I do try to manage.

Cindy So, if you love footnotes, it's all the more reason you should read some Oliver Sacks. He's crazy about footnotes!

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex Did someone cough my name? I hear my Puritan forefathers were total dicks. CONFIRM OR DENY! and by the way they were total dicks.

message 18: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 22, 2011 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads My Puritan forebears were so hardcore Boston wasn't Puritan enough for them.

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex You're related to Roger Williams?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads LOL!

Not that I know of.

They went to a hardcore Puritan colony in what is now New Jersey.