Kelly's Reviews > Chosen

Chosen by Jeanne C. Stein

Aug 12, 2010

liked it
Read from August 18 to 19, 2010

I read the first ANNA STRONG novel, The Becoming, some time ago and didn’t like it. Because of this, I haven’t kept up with the series. When I received a review copy of Chosen, however, I was curious. Now that I’ve read it, I will say that Chosen is superior to The Becoming, but that this series will probably never be one of my favorites.

Anna Strong is approaching the first anniversary of her transformation into a vampire. Rumor says she’s the Chosen One, and according to legend, the Chosen One’s powers will fully manifest on that anniversary. Needless to say, Anna is a little freaked out when she does start developing new traits, such as an ability to sniff out “evil” followed by the overwhelming urge to kill the person she has identified as evil. Then an attempt is made on her life, which doesn’t do much to assuage her worries.

She dispatches the assassin, though, and then has sex with her boyfriend Lance at the scene of the fight. Lance is a fellow vampire who is also a male model and the scion of an old, wealthy family. Anna is smitten with him, and in the early chapters of Chosen, they have sex... a lot. The sex may pose a problem to some readers, not because it’s there but because of the way it’s handled. The frequency of the sex scenes is consistent with an erotic novel, but the style of these scenes is not. There’s very little description of the buildup of tension, of foreplay, or even of the act itself; the scenes are brief and sort of come out of nowhere. So, readers who aren’t looking for an erotic novel may get sick of the sex interrupting the plot, while readers who are looking for an erotic novel will probably find these scenes lacking in sensuality. Indeed, there’s much more sexual tension between Anna and an ex-boyfriend who is only a platonic pal in this installment.

Things pick up when Lance is compelled to introduce Anna to his sinister sire, Julian Underwood. Underwood has teamed up with an old enemy of Anna’s, Warren Williams, to try and force her into accepting her role as the Chosen One. This leads into a suspenseful plot filled with action and backstabbing. There are a few glitches here, particularly one scene in which Anna really should have caught on to someone acting suspiciously and didn’t, but for the most part the plot works. I enjoyed the poignant scene where Anna has to kill someone she once cared about, and her flash of insight about why she in particular would make a good leader of vampires.

So, in the end Chosen held my attention and had some high points, but my experience was marred by the rocky early chapters in which there’s simply too much sex, too often. The series has improved but still doesn’t really stand out in the overcrowded vampire field.

Review originally published at Fantasy Literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen.

08/18/2010 page 41
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kaia (new)

Kaia Hum. Maybe that's why I'm getting no bites. Maybe Reincarnate needs more pointless random sex.

(If so, I give up on UF forever.)

Kelly LOL. It doesn't need that, trust me. The really terrific UF I just read had exactly one sex scene. And it actually had a purpose in the story and everything! And was written prettily and had emotion in it! Trouble is, the book kind of spoiled me and now this one is annoying me more than it otherwise might. :/

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina Kelly wrote: "LOL. It doesn't need that, trust me. The really terrific UF I just read had exactly one sex scene. And it actually had a purpose in the story and everything! And was written prettily and had emotio..."

Oh? Which one? I'm in need of some good uf!!

message 4: by Kelly (last edited Aug 18, 2010 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly Queen of Shadows by Dianne Sylvan. It's really more PNR-ish than UF-ish, technically. It seriously put me through my emotional paces. *g*

ETA: I had an early copy but it won't be long; it comes out on the 31st.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina I had it marked but now I'll definitely check it out. Thanks! :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I find that plot device very annoying, Kelly.

LadyTechie I finished Chosen the other day. I liked the series, but, this one was not what I was expecting. It felt rushed and the resolutions to many of the scenes did not seem to flow naturally. I'm not sure what happened.

Kelly I've only read the first one and this one, so I know I'm missing things, but both books seemed a little rushed to me. I just don't think this is the series for me.

LadyTechie Based upon this one I can see how that would be the impression. I was new to UF and Sci Fi reading in general when I read the first one so it was great to me. I was strictly a mystery/thriller girl before that. Now, I have been exposed to some amazing stuff in this UF genre. Have you ever attended the UFChat on Twitter? I like it. Keeps me up to date with some of the authors and I get some good recommendations on there too.

Kelly (Also, it couldn't have helped that I read it about two days after Queen of Shadows...)

LadyTechie Oh no! That would for sure cause a problem. After I read each of the books in Stacia Kane's new series I could not read anything for days.

Kelly I am kind of a Twitter moron. I have an account, but darned if I can remember my password, and I don't go there much. I probably ought to though--that chat sounds great! :)

LadyTechie It is quite interesting and the topic changes every Saturday at 6:00pm EST.