Michael's Reviews > Being Dead

Being Dead by Jim Crace

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: shit-books

This book is pure dreck. A litany of emotional and psychological generalizations. Its poetic interludes on life, death, love, science and God (or lack there of) are sophomoric and saccharine. It's what I would call a dumbshow of literary pap and sophistry. On top of that, it's bad writing:

"They are the dark co-ordinates of one straight line. Grief is death eroticized. And sex is only shuffling off this mortal coil before its time to plummet to the post-coital afterlife. Celice's haste to rush out of the house and take command of her new love so early in the morning was bound to set the flame. That is a scientific view." pg 140

Really? Thank you Shakespeare. What's next, the babbling brook? Almost.

"Their three missing colleagues would be where they always were by that time in the morning, down on the coast pursuing doctorates, up to their knees in flame-consuming sea" pg 111

Is this a parody?

"Here was their first view of the coast; the wine-deep, sad, narcotic sea." pg 84

This by the way, is one of several abused semicolons, but the real crime is that turd posing as poetry squirting out the rump-hole of the sentence.

Alas, this book was a New York Times Editors' choice of the year, and, a National Book Critics Circle Award winner in fiction.

I don't get it. I really just don't get it. Did they read the book? I read the reviews and it seems that I read a different book.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Dead.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by David (new)

David Varno I get the same feeling with Richard Powers.

message 1: by Laura Jean (new)

Laura Jean Haha, I remember you hating this book.