Jeanne's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Jan 09, 08

bookshelves: mystery, historical
Read in January, 2008

So, I'm on a historical mystery kick. I can't help it. I ask you: who doesn't enjoy a good Victorian mystery?

And I can't think of anyone who won't enjoy Charles Finch's first mystery in a series. His protagonist, Charles Lenox, is a gentleman, armchair traveler, and amateur sleuth. Joined by his elegant best friend, Lady Jane, and his indispensable butler, Graham, Lenox is thrust into a complex murder case involving a former maid of Jane's.

The deceased maid was employed at the Barnard mansion and murdered with a unique and expensive poison, bella indigo. It is up to Lenox and his Scotland Yard foe, Exeter, to find the killer. And someone else will be killed before they do that.

I loved this mystery. The relationship between Lenox and his man reminds me of Wooster and Jeeves. And Lenox is a terribly appealing sleuth.

1/8/08

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Beth If you enjoyed Charles Finch's book, which I definitely did, too, I suggest you try SILENT IN THE GRAVE by Deanna Raybourn. Like Charles's book and my own A REAL BASKET CASE, Deanna's book was nominated for the 2007 Best First Novel Agatha Award. It's also a Victorian mystery set in London and features the newly widowed Lady Julia Grey as the sleuth.