Kyle's Reviews > Dmitry’s Royal Flush: Rise of the Queen

Dmitry’s Royal Flush by Latrivia S. Nelson

M_50x66
Aug 12, 10

Read in January, 2010

Same thought as the previous one...

I received Ms. Nelson’s book as a gift from a girlfriend while I was sick in the hospital along with a pile of other books. Because of it’s theme, it was the last one that I read. I’m not really into romance at all, and I’m really not into interracial romance. Since reading Dmitry’s Closet, I’ve become a true fan of her work, and I believe that this young woman has a world of talent to share.

Obviously, if you have read any of the reviews, which I did out of curiosity, or if you have read her books, you know that there are a great deal of grammatical errors in the book. But as I read more about the author and her drive to get books out on her own because she was turned down by agencies and larger publishing houses, I started to appreciate her ambition and really pull for her. And the errors were not that dramatic that it prevented me from reading and following the storyline.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That is what makes this country great. However, I feel that many readers are incredibly cruel and give facetious remarks about this book because of its edgy subject matter and the pairing of a white man and a black woman. They want to say that it’s unrealistic, but I didn’t read anything in the book that was farfetched.

It’s my opinion that some of the horrible reviews either come from authors or undercover racists who don’t like what she has to say and are trying to muffle the voice of a young talent. To me, once this author finds a strong copy editor, we will see her soar. And I don’t want her to give up because of the pressure that has been put on her by pessimistic and critical reviewers.

In addition, when I was able to sit in on a recent book signing of hers, I found out that she wrote these books while working a full time job, caring for children and her seriously injured husband who was nearly killed while serving our country and working on a graduate level degree. In my eyes, she has done more than most women could with little to no help. I’ll continue to support her and share her books with my circle. And I believe that she will come out on top as long as she keeps her determination.

I will continue to give her great reviews and encourage others to do so to counter people who find it easier to read than ever write. I don’t think that I’m alone with my opinions. And I hope that I’m not the last to say so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dmitry’s Royal Flush.