Jonathan's Reviews > L.A. Outlaws

L.A. Outlaws by T. Jefferson Parker

Sep 16, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, fiction, thriller, caper
Read from August 12 to September 01, 2010

L.A. Outlaws is the first in a series by crime fiction veteran T. Jefferson Parker. The series featurs LA County Sheriff Charlie Hood and in this one, his path crosses with Suzanne Jones, a teacher by day and car thief / holdup artist / Jesse James-like Allison Murietta at night. Told both from Hood's and Jones/Murietta's point of view (plus a few slightly jarring other first person bits), it was a good ride, telling an interesting story of robbery and redemption, with plenty of blood and violence as well. I listened to it "on tape" (actually, MP3s burned to CD from my library) and it was really well done, with a male and female reader who both did a great job. Pretty good story marred by an all too predictable and far too clean ending. I'm anxious to try the second in the Hood series, The Renegades.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read L.A. Outlaws.

08/12/2010
80.0% "Pretty quirky story of both sides of the law in LA, including a woman who works both sides"
08/16/2010
90.0% "Really solid audiobook with great performances by the male & female readers. Wonder how it ends? Can't end well."