Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > Burning Bright

Burning Bright by Janine Ashbless

Aug 15, 10

bookshelves: erotica, 2010-reads, fantasy-sci-fi, paranormal, romance
Read from August 12 to 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** What an odd book. I went into this completely cold. I'd never heard of Black Lace. I didn't know this was erotica. I knew nothing of the storyline. I simply needed a book that was written by an author whose last name started with an A to fulfill a challenge category.

The book opens with our hero regaining consciousness after having someone bash in the back of his skull. He was left for dead and had most of his things taken. Those things he misses most at the beginning are all of his memories and his shoes. He staggers for a way looking for water and sees a beautiful young woman getting water. He loses consciousness again.

When he comes to the second time, he is feverish and tied to a bed. The young woman appears to be a healing apprentice. The old witch is instructing her apprentice how to suck the scorpion spirit which is making our hero sick out through his dick with his seed. It's about this point that you realize that the book has taken a turn from mainstream fiction.

Our hero does realize that he was travelling with someone and he needs to find her to make his soul complete. Along the way he has sex. A lot of sex. If he doesn't fight it, he fucks it. He leaves a trail of blood and semen a mile wide (and eight inches deep) as he gets back to his goddess.

And speaking of his goddess what is she up to? Mostly just being a sex slave to a bunch of incestuous shape shifting tigers. And she really is a goddess.

So final verdict? It reminded me of the old Conan books if Conan was played by John Holmes. So we will refer to this new hero as Gonad the Barbonian (with an emphasis on the second syllable). In other words, I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I'll probably come back and give it four stars after I see if it sticks with me a while.

Caution: This book is not for everyone. It contains: oral, anal, vaginal, sex with another man's wife, MFM, FF, dom/sub, sex with the undead, spanking, creampie play, urine play, rape, tattooing of a woman's labia, sex with non-humans (a half snake half woman Naga), masturbation, and probably a few other things that some may find offensive that I've forgotten. Like I said in the review, a little off the beaten path.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Bright.

08/12/2010 page 42
15.0% "Went into this cold. Told someone to get me the first book they saw that the author's last name started with an A. I'm still trying to get my bearings. Fantasy world setting where I believe one of the characters is a goddess and the other is a former soldier."
08/13/2010 page 105
39.0% "Well, the hero and heroine have been separated since the opening. So far he's plumbed the three main orifices of at least three different women on his quest back to his true love. She's only found solace in the arms of another woman. I guess this is an erotica book. I thank my children for the good pick." 9 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nissie (new)

Nissie Great review,Jim! I especially enjoyed the Gonad the Barbonian part lol! Sounds exciting,entertaining and a little disturbing all at the same time.