Laura Summers's Reviews > This Side of the Grave

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Reviewed for on

There is one thing that makes this series really work for me. That is Cat and Bones. As a couple they make me laugh out loud, grip the edge of my seat and sigh happily all in the same chapter. They really are one of my favourite supernatural couples.

Their relationship is slightly more grown up in this book, now married they still have their issues, but Cat is working very hard to work as a team and not run off and get herself in crazy trouble when Bones’s back is turned. Although I did kind of miss the old reckless Cat, and wanted her to go off and do something crazy just so that Bones could go and rescue her. But I also love how obvious their love and dedication to one another is.
The dialogue between them is brilliant, snappy and witty. Their bickering always amuses me. Cat’s comment below on Mencheres and Kira’s relationship did make me chuckle and sums up the banter between her and Bones.

"“See?” I’d whispered to Bones, nudging him with a grin. “He never argues with her. Isn’t that sweet?”
A snort proceeded his response. “Keep dreaming, pet.”

I also have to say look out for the flying scene… Just brilliant!

Of course the book wouldn’t be complete without the threat of all out war and Cat sitting right in the middle of the trouble. Her supernatural abilities causing her problems even after she has been turned. As expected this book is no exception. But the danger comes from the ghouls this time for a change.

As well as Cat and Bones, the secondary characters in this book are also pretty awesome. We’ve got Mencheres, Spade, Tate and Cat’s old team all adding to the story and as rounded as the main characters. In particular I have to mention Vlad (if you’re wondering, yes that Vlad!) who was fabulous in this book, genuinely laugh out loud funny. I hope like Mencheres and Spade he gets his own spin-off.

Interestingly, this book has a very human tragedy written into the novel, mixed in with supernatural. Becoming used to living in the supernatural world, managing the threat of war and evil, suddenly Cat has to face up to human mortality and disease. Which leads to some terribly sad scenes, that you may just need a tissue or two after. There is perhaps less action in this book than we have seen in others in the series, but don’t worry the end finale won’t leave you disappointed.

Another fantastic instalment to Jeaniene Frost’s excellent series. If you’ve not yet picked up ‘Halfway to the Grave’ I would urge you to do so, it mixes love, wit, super hot chemistry with page turning action and characters that will stay with you after the last page is turned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of the Grave.