LeAnn's Reviews > The Golem's Eye

The Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud

Jan 16, 08

Recommended for: YA and Adult Fantasy readers
Read in January, 2008

As with The Amulet of Samarkand, Simon Jones's reading of Golem's Eye really adds an incredible dimension to the story. I highly recommend the audio version and probably anything that Jones narrates in general.

Stroud wisely adds a new character to the story, Kitty Jones. Kitty embodies most of the good qualities that Nathaniel displayed in the first book but has increasingly abandoned. Much of the story is in fact told from her perspective and she's very sympathetic.

Stroud also builds on the complex moral issues raised briefly in the first book, making this more than a typical fantasy adventure tale. Namely, the issues surrounding power, greed, and ambition as well as ignorance of history, oppression and manipulation of those not in power, ignorance of history's lessons ... I could go on, but I won't.

The characters and their relationships also grow more complex and compelling. Bartimaeus' world-weary djinni, his wit and his sarcasm, all become much more understandable. We empathize with him. He becomes almost human, showing more moral fiber than his master and openly admiring Kitty, who is the novel's hero. I'd love to engage him in a conversation.

I'm looking forward to the third book, Ptolemy's Gate, which I've already begun. I hope for Nathaniel's ultimate redemption, Bartimaeus' freedom, and Kitty's triumph over tyranny. I'll be disappointed with anything less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golem's Eye.