Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Night World, No. 1

Nov 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews, the-great-shelf-of-meh
Read from November 23 to 29, 2010

The problem with the current vampire genre is that it's like emo kids. It takes itself VERY seriously, tries waaaaaaaay too hard and in the end looks all the same. Oh, and it's fun to laugh at.

emokids

It wasn't that nightworld was bad. The writing flowed nicely, was descriptive and the world was well-realized. The characters were mostly interesting and different and all three stories stood well on their own as well as adding to each other.

That's not to say, though, that I didn't have issues with this book.

The third story, for me, really dragged and wasn't as good as the first two. In fact, all three stories gave me strong recollections of Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries mixed together. Not that, you know, I've ever seen either show...

chuckbass
Has anyone else noticed that Chuck Bass usually looks really pissy? I'm serious. I've never seen someone master that bratty, "I hope your head explodes from the sheer force of pissy that is emanating from my entire body right now" expression that he does.

Anyway, back to the review...

The one thing that really annoyed me about this book was the soulmate concept. In this book, one look is all it takes to see and recognize your soulmate, binding the two of you together in some kind of super powerful love that can probably conquer everything from the forces of darkness to paying for your phone bill.

Sorry, folks. I just don't subscribe to that mentality. I certainly don't think I could fall in love like someone would fall into a ditch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night World, No. 1.

11/23/2010 page 1
0.0% "It's finally come in! Woot!"
06/01/2016 marked as: read

Noelle Oh I read those there the most not crappy supernatural books Ive read so far. They were at times painfully predictable but what the hell they were alright!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) I'm looking forward to see how you like this. I've had this on my TBR for such a long time and haven't really heard anyone recommend them.

Kat Kennedy I don't know, Jillian. If my library has the rest then I might CONSIDER reading them. If not then I won't bother.

message 4: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Current vampire genre? These books are ANCIENT--and I think they show their 90s roots quite a bit! I read them originally at 12 or so and thought the soul mate stuff terribly romantic back then, but found it more difficult to swallow as a grown-up. The only one I really adored on reread was "The Chosen."

I'd much more highly recommend her series about psychics, the Dark Visions series, which are original and (while there's some swoony stuff in them) much less heavy handed.

message 5: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Vampire Diaries is actually a good show. I hated the book series so that surprised me.

message 6: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Nov 29, 2010 04:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Kennedy Phoebe, you'll have to excuse me. I consider anything created after Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 1 to be current vampire culture!

message 7: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Ha, fair enough! (She actually gives Buffy a little nod in The Chosen, which is about a vampire slayer whose soul mate is--GASP--a vampire!) I've just always suspected that many current YA paranormal writers are pretty much riding Smith's coattails, so I get a bit twitchy about it. ;)

Kat Kennedy I'm the same, Phoebe. I think most paranormal writers are riding Buffy's coattails!

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Phoebe - didn't the Dark Visions series also have soul mates in it?

Kat - I think I read these books a while ago, I can't remember. They all seem to meld together. I did like the idea of soul mates, but the way you described it made me laugh.

"In this book, one look is all it takes to see and recognize your soulmate, binding the two of you together in some kind of super powerful love that can probably conquer everything from the forces of darkness to paying for your phone bill.

My soul mate pays the phone bill. We haven't had to fight the forces of darkness, but a hormonal teenager would qualify as someone under the forces of darkness.

message 10: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Somewhere, Anne Rice is turning in her grave.

(What do you mean, she's not dead yet?!)

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Phoebe wrote: "Somewhere, Anne Rice is turning in her grave.

(What do you mean, she's not dead yet?!)"

Wasn't she born again?

message 12: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Phoebe - didn't the Dark Visions series also have soul mates in it?

I think it's implied, but there aren't any passages that are, like, "And then we kissed and I skipped through his mind blowing light and flowers around it and then he sat me down and said to me, 'Have you ever heard of the soulmate principle?' And I said, 'No, I haven't read the other nine books in this series. Please explain it to me!'"

Kat Kennedy Haha! Anne Rice doesn't mind. She hates her own vampire novels anyway. She won't mind if I knock them a little.

AH - hormonal teenagers DEFINITELY qualify as someone under the forces of darkness.

Kat Kennedy Yes, AH, she is.

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela Oh thank God,someone else who has the same opinion like me about these books.I only read the first one though.I gave up on the series after that,I decided it was enough soul mate crap to last me a lifetime.

message 16: by Elisa (new)

Elisa I love the emo kid picture. Looks like my little brother and all his friends.

Kat Kennedy It doesn't look like my little brother anymore. *sniff*

He's in bootcamp and now he looks like he could kill me with his closely shaved head.

Oh, and since we're all damned hippy civvies, he probably WOULD try to kill those boys for being so damned useless and not ironing their clothes to perfection.

message 18: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Hmm, maybe you could sic him on my brother & company...get 'em to stop smuggling beer into my house.

Maria (First off, unless my publication dates are mixed up, this book preceeded Gossip Girl... and it's BY L.J. SMITH, same as Vamp Diaries)... Anyway, I DO see what you mean about the soulmate principle. I just let things go with that when I read. It gets a bit more explained in the third book, which develops a whole POINT to the series.

message 20: by Alisha (new)

Alisha While not L.J's best work, you have to realize that this is one of the people along with Christopher Pike that created the YA paranormal genre. Trust me, I was around, and there just wasn't anything like this. All UF,PR, and so on lovers should love this, just because she inspired a love for this freaky stuff in so many of your favorite writers when they were young teens.

message 21: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Lol current? It came out in 1996 o-o but whatever...

Jessica Rushing I agree with you about the third book! Theres only certain books I like out of the whole series.