Jessica's Reviews > And Ladies of the Club

And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer

202724
Aug 11, 2010

bookshelves: literaryfiction, all-timefavorites

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this book before.

Yes, it's almost 1,200 pages long. And yes, every one of those pages matters.

This magnificent book is a series of portraits of the changes in a small town in Ohio from the end of the Civil War into the 20th century. As the country moves into a golden age following the Civil War, the ladies of a small Ohio town (known for its women's college) decide to form an intellectual club for the women. Two of their charter members are Sally and Anne, best friends who have just graduated from the college and are about to be married to handsome, prosperous young men. The book follows them and the other ladies through marriage, childbirth, illness, losses and happinesses, grandchildren and beyond. You come to know and love all the members of the club, and it's fascinating seeing the changes that come over them and their families as the years pass.

Despite its length, the book is mesmerizing, and could not put it down. I adored Sally and Anne, and I found myself laughing and crying along with them. Simply put, this is a work of art, a beautiful book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Ladies of the Club.

03/08 marked as: read

Lee Anne I found the first few chapters kind of slow, but things picked up quickly after that. When I finished the book, I cried as if I'd lost my best friend.

Laurie I loved this book. Never heard of the author until this one and now reading all of her books.

Jessica I didn't even know she wrote other books! (I guess I could have looked.) The story with this one fascinates me as well. It was delivered to her publisher in over a dozen boxes of neatly typewritten pages, and was apparently even longer . . . So amazing!

Laurie Jessica wrote: "I didn't even know she wrote other books! (I guess I could have looked.) The story with this one fascinates me as well. It was delivered to her publisher in over a dozen boxes of neatly typewrit..."

I read somewhere she had to cut 750 pages from the original book! I did like FAREWELL SUMMER and OHIO TOWN. I liked HERBS AND APPLES but it was a more normal read.