Joseph's Reviews > American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic

American Creation by Joseph J. Ellis

Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: history
Read from August 27 to September 01, 2010

This was an interesting book in a lot of ways. First I will talk about the good stuff. The writing was superb and it flowed very well within the capters and was just well done. The author really chose topics for each chapter and talked about how the founding fathers really dealt with them, etc. For a history buff there was some great behind the scene things that were interesting to know. That I enjoyed it very much.

The one thing that sort of bothered me was that each chapter kind of felt like its own essay or non fiction short story. They were all independent from each other. That not a bad thing, just wasn't expecting it. It was almost like he had a lot of info that didn't fit in his other books and put it in this one.

Then in the beginning of the book he talked about when he was a book tour with his last book it was during 2000's election with Bush-Gore and how we are choosing between them when 200 hears ago it was Jefferson-Adams and how is there a big difference in the process. And why the founding fathers chose electrol votes. I was eager to read on, but it wasn't mentioned at all in the book. So the questions he pose in the beginning of the book never were addressed.

It would have been a 4 star if he even mentioned this at the end of the book or something. It is more like a 3 1/2 because of the stuff mentioned above. I do recommend and would buy/read other Ellis books if given the chance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Creation.