Amy's Reviews > I Love Bugs!

I Love Bugs! by Emma Dodd

Aug 11, 10

bookshelves: gslis-course, juvenile-fiction

Dodd’s latest installment is sure to make bug lovers of us all. Follow the fearless young, curly haired narrator as he explores all types of bugs like “springy jumpy leapy bugs” or “whiny-buzzy-sound bugs” found in the grass, under logs, in the sky and even at a picnic. Simple strings of choice adjectives move the story along at a great read-a-loud pace and the bouncy rhythm never misses a beat. Dodd’s language is as explosive and colorful as her full spread illustrations. Using bright, bold colors and thick black outlines amidst a variety of textures truly captures the details of the book’s creepy, crawly subjects without the scare factor. Dodd is careful to use large, almost inquisitive eyes for all the bugs, reassuring younger readers who may feel apprehensive around the real things. Even the “stripy swipey sting bugs” appear friendly enough to picnic with. Young children will love spotting their favorite bugs like butterflies and lightning bugs, which are easily recognizable, and will squeal along with the narrator at the final hairy encounter. Pair with staples like Denise Fleming’s Beetle Bop (2007) or Bob Barner’s Bugs! Bugs! Bugs! (1999) for an insect filled story time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love Bugs!.