Michael's Reviews > Sookie Stackhouse 7-copy Boxed Set

Sookie Stackhouse 7-copy Boxed Set by Charlaine Harris

Aug 11, 10

bookshelves: mind-candy
Read in January, 2009

I bought this boxed set knowing nothing about HBO's True Blood. Since then, I've become pretty much addicted to the show, but these fun, fast, quirky mystery/romance books have brought me hours of entertainment as well.

This series is set in a world where vampires have recently "come out of the coffin," meaning, their existence has been revealed to the world. They are fighting for legal rights, to be accepted into society, etc. The books follow Sookie Stackhouse, a barmaid in Bon Temps, Louisiana, who can hear people's thoughts. This causes a major strain in her love life (who wants to hear everything your significant other is thinking all the time?). When she meets Bill Compton, a vampire, she finds she can hear nothing he's thinking. So, basically, she falls head over heels for him. However, their relationship and Sookie's useful ability causes her to be unknowingly plunged into the world of the undead and other dastardly supernatural creatures.

So begins this series. I'm not going to lie and say these are some great literary accomplishment, but they're fun, light reads that are consistently entertaining. The characters are very likeable, and the mysteries are interesting and inventive. Boredom won’t be a problem here.

I think the problem people have with these books is they watch True Blood and then come to the books. The world in True Blood is a little more complex than the world in these books, simply because the books are from Sookie's perspective only. Many of the subplots that are explored in the TV series are only touched upon in the books. However, that's fine with me. These books are addictive and fun enough on their own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sookie Stackhouse 7-copy Boxed Set.