Jess Michaelangelo's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: fiction, library, science-fiction, series, young-adult
Read from March 23 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

Okay, so this book definitely freaked me out. I don't know if it's just because of the wacky weather we've had so far this year, but the events of this book seem completely and utterly possible.

The fact that this book is so realistic is what makes it so good. The after effects from the moon being knocked out of orbit are completely plausible, and it made me all too aware of how much we take for granted. Simple things like electricity and running water. Being able to go to the store if we need something. It freaked me out because, to put it plainly, I would suck at surviving.

Another thing that I found to be realistic was Miranda's voice. The diary thing worked for me, as a whole. There were a couple things I didn't buy, like who really writes dialogue in a diary? But I understand that things like that have to be taken with a grain of salt because they are necessary for the book to work. And to tell the truth, it didn't really bug me all that much. I was too busy being freaked out about how much food we have in our house. I thought Miranda was really authentic, though. What 16-year-old doesn't have their vulnerable or whiny or selfish points? What 16-year-old wouldn't rather be ice skating than sitting in a sunroom reading a history textbook? Especially when the world is ending! I also liked how even though I would have liked to know what was happening in the rest of the world, we couldn't know because Miranda herself couldn't know. Hopefully, we'll see more in subsequent books.

This was compulsively readable for me, and I probably would have read it all at once if I wouldn't have stopped myself. I had this utter need to know what was going to happen and how it was going to end. I will definitely be reading books 2 and 3 to find out!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

03/23/2012 page 42
12.0% "Well, this started off with a kick!"
03/28/2012 page 294
87.0% 1 comment
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Ellsworth I love this series!

message 2: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew Hunter Thanks Jess! Can't wait to get to the series myself. All three books are taunting me from my shelves at home.

Jess Michaelangelo I really liked this first one, so I'm glad to hear that the rest of the series is worth it, too!

Jess Michaelangelo Matthew--I hope you enjoy them!

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I have never heard of this book or the series, but your review makes me think I would love it! So i'm off to find it somewhere. I'm most definitely NOT a survivor type either so will probably terrify myself, but i kinda like that! Thanks for the review.