Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002"'s Reviews > His Hometown Girl

His Hometown Girl by Jillian Hart

Aug 19, 10

Read from August 18 to 19, 2010

Wow - I just loved this book. It was such a sweet, innocent romance. This is the first book in Hart's McKaslin series and its off with a bang! Karen is working in her coffee shop, dealing with a broken engagement and still mourning the loss of her sister/business partner. Enter Zack (of course the bad boy is named Zack!), the town "bad-boy" and local mechanic. This story tells their romance from their start as friends, to their budding romance and then to their HEA. Enter in a grandma who is having a late-life crisis/makeover, some nosy sisters and this book is just a fun fun read.

For me the biggest plus of this book is that there is not a lot of FORCED focus on the spiritual lives of the characters. I wouldn't read the Love-Inspired line if I didn't want some Christianity in some of my reads, but oftentimes its very poorly written and feels like its being shoved down your throat - like listening to a really bad preacher. Hart is one of the few Love-Inspired authors that I feel really has found a good balance in her writing. She is able to write a solid clean romance reflecting her Christian values without going overboard with it.

As said in previous reviews about Jillian Hart, she has definitely earned a spot on my auto-buy list.

Rated: 4 stars for a sweet, well-balanced romance.
Warning: There are a record number of chaste kisses in this book! I stopped counting at 7 or 8... that has to be a record of some sort for Love-Inspired! lol
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Hometown Girl.

08/18/2010 page 128
50.0% "What a sweet romance. Not a lot of FORCED focus on the spiritual lives which alienates a lot of readers. I wouldn't read it if I didn't want to see it, but oftentimes its very poorly written and feels like its being shoved down your throat - like listening to a really bad preacher."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I definitely need to read this one. I'm turned off by the heavy-handed approach I've seen in some inspirational romances I've read. Personally, I don't think the inspirational romances need to be so chaste. I guess I'm in the minority, I suppose.

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" Jillian Hart is excellent at keeping a good balance. I've read a few doozies that almost turned me off the line completely, but I'm glad I gave some 2nd chances. Like you I hate the heavy-handed approach. I love seeing faith/spirituality in romances, but it gets a bit much. Hers are good, clean and mostly entertaining. A lot of Love Inspireds I've read have been too angsty, or too heavy handed in their approach. I read one recently that could've been a good story had it not been so preachy about homeschooling (WHICH I support) but this book was downright preachy and there was a lot of extra pro-homeschooling propoganda that seemed to have been stuck in as an afterthought. Most of my Love Inspireds come from my husband's grandmother. I'll read pretty much anything and I'm glad I gave this line a chance because I was able to discover Jillian Hart. She could very easily transition into another category if she wanted, but I'm glad she's in Love Inspired to set the bar. Unfortunately not many writers in that category seem to meet my standards. lol I'm hoping someday she'll expand more into full novels. I picture her being able to do a series similar to Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series, or Nora Roberts trilogies. She would have to polish up her work a lot more, but I think she would be capable of it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Jillian Hart also writes historicals for Harlequin Historicals. They are very good. You should check them out. I don't like preachyiness of any sort in a book. It doesn't have to be about Christianity. I've read very non-Christian books that were preachy about other subjects. It's a big turn-off.