Léna Roy's Reviews > The Thieves of Manhattan

The Thieves of Manhattan by Adam Langer

Aug 13, 10

Read from August 11 to 12, 2010

I had no idea that Adam was a writer, until he friended me on Facebook and I started getting announcements and reviews about his book: The Thieves of Manhattan: A comic literary thriller in which a down-on-his-luck writer finds himself ensnared in a web of deceit when he puts his name to a fake memoir.

It's his fifth book, mind you, so I don't know what planet I've been on. Planet Mommy, Planet Writer. Adam was another parent of a delightful girl at my daughter's pre-school. We had talked parenting, sleep deprivation, potty-training. Talk about ourselves? Never!

So I finally got off my duff and started reading his book the day before yesterday, finished last night. Fake memoir? Might this also be a social commentary on the publishing aka entertainment industry? The hours I spent reading Adam's book were all too short. I laughed, chuckled and snorted at Langer's humorous semiotics and publishing caricatures, creating a literary world where glasses are called "franzens" (nod to Jonathon Franzen) and cocktails are called "fitgeralds" and "faulkners". A comic literary thriller indeed! These adjectives may seem oxymoronic, but with Langer, he makes the case for a new genre with grace and finesse. All the while Langer's prose tease and stimulate as he weaves his own questions about story as truth.

Go to my blog for more and for informal chat with Adam! www.lenaroy.com

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thieves of Manhattan.

08/11/2010 page 52
19.0% "LOVING it and laughing out loud!"

message 1: by Arlaina (new)

Arlaina Tibensky He's reading for Pen Parentis soon!

Léna Roy Awesome! his daughter and mine went to pre-school together!