~Tina~'s Reviews > Awakened

Awakened by Ednah Walters

Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: own, read-2011, angels, young-adult, tbr-booker-challenge
Read from February 23 to 25, 2011

TBR Reduce Challenge #12- 2011 (Alexa)

First off, I'm gonna push aside the fact that the first chapter was a little to sudden and it seemed to jump right into the storyline. It felt like it was missing a chapter or two and as a reader I wasn't prepared for the setup to the plot structure.
But, that's the only thing that bothered me about this book.
The rest, I really just loved!

Ednah Walters pens a fascinating unique story in Awakened.
This is very detailed stuff and has many different elements that work within the story. Mythology, the Four Elements (water, fire, earth, wind) and Angel/Demon lore are intricately well crafted in the plot while suspense and romance are also added to give readers an amazing look into this world and the eyes of these characters.

The storyline is very action packed and absolutely fascinating. Such a great concept, these are some of the beings you'll meet or mentioned in the story; Xenith, Hermonites, Guardians, Neteru, Werenephil, Nosferatu, Souled Demons, Nephling and the Nature Benders.
I got a real kick out of the training and the the history of it all. Very cool stuff. I've always been intrigued with Angel lore and thought this would be the same old same old, but I was pleasantly surprised how different this one felt among the others. This was very plot driven, which I'm a little shocked about since I was expecting more romance then anything else. Not the case for this book, while it does have a swoon-worthy romance, it's not the focus of the storyline which was very refreshing.

Sure, it still has your standard MC (Lil) who just realized that's she's so much more then she thought she was and she's finally in on the big family secret now that she's turned sixteen. She's never been kissed and never had the opportunity to have any normal teenage experiences since she moves around so much. But, she's totally kick-ass! She's quick to fall for our hero, Bran, but it's done in a leashed pace instead of something that was just jumped into. There is attraction first, then chemistry later, which is what makes it feel more believable.
Bran is our mysterious hero, (he'd be the gorgeous creature with delicious abs on the cover) he has a very natural presence and a great personality. I love when he calls Lil, Sunshine and some of the scenes were really very sweet and nicely done. The mountain scene gets a shout out.
There are also many secondary characters that brought a lot of animation to their roles, each of them are very well developed. I don't know why but I didn't care very much for Lil's normal friends but I really loved the other Guardians, Izzy, Kim, Remy and Sykes, loved there sense of teamwork and friendship. Even her grandfather was cool, I liked his skills and kindness.

Bottom line, I kinda loved this one. It's gripping and exciting and even though it was a lot to take in at times it's not hard to follow. It never felt fake and the writing was well done and impressive.
Maybe I'm easy and bias when it comes to this lore, since I can't seem to get enough, but this is definitely one Angel series I can't wait to continue!

Well done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awakened.

02/24/2011 page 80
29.0% "This is Good!!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm curious about this one Tina. I have no idea what it is about, but I hope there's sex involved. Lots of it.

message 2: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Pervert.

~Tina~ HA! I'll be sure to look out for a lot of sex ~crosses fingers for Kim~

She so is Jess;)

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim @ Tina Oh wait. It's YA. Never mind.

@ Jess

~Tina~ Hehehe!! I think it's safe to say we all have our inner pervert sitting on our shoulders telling us to read yummy bad books.
We should give him cookies!

message 6: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica LOL Kim XD

This is my inner pervert. His name is Hank and he loves cookies & burgers.

message 7: by Kim (last edited Feb 23, 2011 10:06AM) (new)

Kim *is speechless for about 6 seconds*

Inner? It looks like he's pretty out to me.

I love the look on that little sheep's face.

Maybe he won't notice if I just back up slooooowly...

message 8: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Hahaha XD

Sheep? Isn't that a pig?

~Tina~ ROFL Jess!

This is my inner perv I'll feed him anything he wants;)

message 10: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Hahaha, I bet you do ;)

message 11: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Why is my inner perv this ugly and yours is hot? Hmpf.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Top left. Your perv reminds me of an actor. He plays Father Laurence in Romeo + Juliet.

~Tina~ If I'm gonna be a perv, Me needs a gooood one XD

Good call Kim! lol

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim ROFL.

Anyway, I'm curious to find out if this book has more to offer than abs I can do my laundry on.

~Tina~ They really are nice abs! Tehe! I'll let ya know;)

message 16: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F No one wants to see my inner pervert. It scalds the eyes of children.

~Tina~ Now you've made me go all curious!

message 18: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I want to see it Morgan! Show me, SHOW ME! ;)

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim *joins the mob*

message 20: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Okay....here it is.

Gah! I told you it was horrible!

~Tina~ You ANIMAL you!!

message 22: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica My eyes! My eyes!

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim [image error]

message 24: by Nic (new)

Nic LMAO! Well in todays news it appears Kim and Jessica are perverts - no surprise there ;)

Tina, you inner pervert is HOT. Thanks for that link after Jessica's horrible image :)

Morgan, what does you inner pervert look like when it sees Peeta?

message 25: by Kim (last edited Feb 23, 2011 01:38PM) (new)

Kim I completely missed Tina's inner perv link, HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

OMG I'm in love with that pic Tina. IN LOVE. I don't care that his face looks like a foot in profile, the boy is hot. HOT. Phew. He can barely even handle grabbing his own ass due to his hotness.

Answer quickly Morgan, I'm on the edge of my seat here.

message 26: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F Like this.

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim I bet you do ^^

~Tina~ Morgan wrote: "Like this."

Well hell, who can compete with that!

message 29: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Kim wrote: " I don't care that his face looks like a foot in profile, the boy is hot. HOT. Phew. ..."

ROFL XD

@Morgan: D'aaaaaaaaw!

message 30: by Nic (new)

Nic LOL Morgan :)

message 31: by Arlene (new)

Arlene The only link on this convo that scalded my eyes was Jessica's. That was FUGLY!!!!

BTW, glad you enjoyed this book Tina. :)

~Tina~ Thankies:)

message 33: by Nic (new)

Nic Great review twinie! I definitely moving this up my book shopping list :)

~Tina~ I think you'd like this Twinie, but just to warn you it doesn't have a lot of romance in this one. Shocked the hell out me actually, but there is concept/storyline was really cool!

message 35: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Sounds good, Tina! Great review :)

~Tina~ Thanks Jess!

Alexa I'm glad you liked it! Really great review; the book sounds really good. :)

~Tina~ Thankies! Let me know if you want me to send it to ya:)

Amber Awesome review!! I'm reading it now and really liking it so far!

~Tina~ Thanks Amber! I remember really liking this one:) Glad your enjoying!