Lina's Reviews > Identical

Identical by Ellen Hopkins

Dec 26, 10

Read from December 25 to 26, 2010

Oh Ellen Hopkins you just love tackling hard issues and then slapping me in the face with some of the most sicking concepts ever. Then of course, we never get a truly happy ending. If you are familiar with Hopkins' other works like Burned, Impulse, etc then this should not come as a surprise to readers.

Identical deals with child molestation, pedophilia, domestic abuse and the complete destruction of a family. Kaeleigh and Raeanne are twins with totally different personalities, Kaeleigh is very passive and slightly timid. As the marriage between her parents deteriorates, her father- a district court judge with his own past- takes out his sexual frustrations on his daughter. Raeanne, who has witnessed this since she was ten, is actually jealous that their father favors one above the other. In response to this Raeanne is sexually promiscuous and keeps herself high.

With the already disturbing content laid out on the back over I knew to expect something out of an episode of Law and Order: SVU, but still, reading Raeanne's recollection of the sexual acts their father had Kaeleigh perform on him since the age of six made me cringe. There was one particularly moment when it is implied that Raeanne wanted to please her father as a child by doing these things and as a teen, still does in the back of her mind.

Despite it all, as usually, I love Hopkins' ability to keep me at the edge of my seat. I do think that the ending is a little reaching which is why I will not give it five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Identical.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Nice to see not the entirety of the current YA is just filled with means to simplify life and make it a wet dream. Reality ftw.
I'm gonna look out for this book.