Cheryl's Reviews > 31 Bond Street

31 Bond Street by Ellen Horan

Aug 10, 2010

liked it

The year was 1857 in New York.

Emma Cunningham and her two daughters are living with Dr. Burdell on 31 Bond Street. Dr. Burnell and Emma met and Dr. Burnell seduced Emma to come live with him and he would provide for Emma and her two daughters. There is quite an age difference between Dr. Burnell and Emma. Things were great between Dr. Burnell and Emma but they weren’t horrible too. Well that is until Dr. Burnell was found with his throat slashed. Emma is the prime suspect.

Henry Clinton is hired by Emma to represent her. He has a gut feeling that Emma is not capable of murdering anyone but the deeper he digs into Dr. Burnell and Emma’s relationship, he can’t deny that the situation does not look bright for Emma.

I read a review that one of my friends wrote about this book and just had to check it out for myself to see if this book lived up to its hype. This is what I have to say about this book after reading it for myself…31 Bond Street is good, ole, mystery fun!

This book had elements of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries that I used to read and love. The only draw back I had was that I found most of the characters except for Emma, Henry, Dr. Burnell and Emma’s two daughters to be dull. Because of this fact, when the parts of the story mainly featured the other characters, I would briskly skim over these parts of the story. What I liked the most about this book was trying to figure out if Emma was guilty or not. It was interesting to thinking that someone back then could be kept in house arrest and that the accusers would start to hold a preliminary court hearing in the living room. Overall though, I had an enjoyable time reading 31 Bond Street.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 31 Bond Street.