Anna Gibson's Reviews > The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson

Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: marie-antoinette-and-family-fiction, owned-books
Read from August 19 to 20, 2010

It's no secret that I enjoy historical accuracy when it comes to historical fiction, particularly when it's about my favorite subject, Marie Antoinette. But in the end when it comes to accuracy, I ask myself: "Could this book/the events/the characterization have been plausible, and was it a good read?" The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, unfortunately, was neither of those things for me.

The author strays so far from historical accuracy that I'm left to wonder... why write this book about "Marie Antoinette"? There seems to have been no effort by the author to write about Marie Antoinette's actual life, and the book may as well have been titled "The Hidden Diary of a Queen" with the names and places changed.

The only good thing I can say about the book is that Louis XVI managed to come across as surprisingly sympathetic, though even this bright spot was tarnished by Erickson constantly having Marie Antoinette insult him, and making his last words to her an "a-okay" for her to marry Fersen after he's dead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette.

08/19/2010 page 36