Curtis Butturff's Reviews > A People's History of the United States

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: history

I think I'd say that essentially this is the bedrock of the PC movement and the need to have more than one view of historical events. It's great you can get this perenial college text in ebook format now. I think it's probably hit a point where a lot of the original writing is a little bit old school at this point but I do suspect that in time it will be viewed in it's time much as the Beards were viewed in theirs.

If you are a right wing critic of the left and haven't read this or something similar then frankly you are missing much of the methodology behind the lefts stance in modern America. I'm not sure I'd say Zinn is either the most prominent or important historian of the left but he's certainly a best selling one so his impact is beyond question.

Personally I tend to take most works with that critical grain of salt and try to stand back a bit in judgement so I won't go so far as to endorse every view in the book but will uncategorically say it's not 100% right or wrong and anyone saying it is likely either ignorant or being deliberately partisan.

If all you've read lately is Glen Beck I'd recommend balancing it with some scholarly works from other points of view and this book is in my estimate something approaching a series of essays that fits the bill. Thus one does not have to read it cover to cover but can also thumb through any number of subjects much as one would expect in textbook.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of the United States.