Cara's Reviews > Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Aug 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010, historical-fiction
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
Recommended for: Fans of southern lit
Read from August 10 to 21, 2010

"The afternoon sun sent fireworks of light sparkling off the hood ornament- a miniature silver angel with open wings and her arms stretched out in front of her, palms forward, as if she were ready to push aside anything that dared get in her way."

First off I want that hood ornament! Sadly they don't put them on cars anymore. *sigh* This quote really jumped out at me because it describes the story as a whole. Ceecee will be protected by the brave, fierce, and beautiful women of Savannah, and they will fight tooth and nail for this girl, just like the angel.

Poor Ceecee has had a hard time to say the least. Her crazy mother gets killed. In a way it proves to be a good fortune for her, but just like any other girl she is devasted. Though her mother did more harm then good and many a time she wanted her gone, deep down she knows she always hoped that her mom would someday be a normal mother. Her father is basically out of the picture, and just avoids the whole situation as much as possible. He does do one good thing for her; he decides that Ceecee will go to Savannah with her great-aunt Tootie. That one decesion will change Ceecee Honeycutt's life forever.

The southern charm always gets to me. Right off the bat I love books with this kind of setting. The story is not only set in the south but in the 1960's. I'm glad the author didn't try to shove down our thoarts the Civil Right movement, but she does give us clear displays that this in fact is happening. It's not the central idea to the novel but is part of the telling how Ceecee comes to see the world through different eyes. The whole cast of women were great. Starting with Oletta all the way to even Viola. It's actually hard to believe there could be so many generous people, but I do want to believe.

The only reason why I didn't give it the whole five stars was because it seemed just a tad too perfect. Other than that the story is lovely and makes you smile to see that people could care so much about one girl. One person after all can make a huge difference.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.

08/16/2010 page 306

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Debbie Mcafee Thanks for the inspiration! Let's market that hood ornament!

Cara Hahaha:D That would be an excellent idea!

Cooee I'm with you, the Southern charm always works it's charm on me, too. I'll never forget years ago arriving bone weary exhausted after a hideously long car trip to Arkansas. My friend's aunt, who I had never even met before, said "Aw honey!" hugged me & put me right to bed with a snack. She told me "Don't you worry about meeting the other folks until you get your rest!" Wow if someone bottled that Southern sugar, I'd buy it by the caseload!

Cara Cooee wrote: "I'm with you, the Southern charm always works it's charm on me, too. I'll never forget years ago arriving bone weary exhausted after a hideously long car trip to Arkansas. My friend's aunt, who I..."

If they could find a way to bottle it up it would fly off the racks! I need to take a trip down south soon:)

Karen Hartshorn Packard made some beautiful hood ornaments...I checked out many of them for my restored 49/50 Packard that looks very much like the one in this story (it is not a convertible, it is blue). I finally kept the original on the car. But the others can be found on ebay.... I am enjoying this book very much. I like the Southern charm too and sometimes a little light reading is a good thing.

Cara Thanks for the info Karen! And that's awesome that your car has the original hood ornament. I'll have to look that up;)