Eliza's Reviews > Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care

Pushed by Jennifer Block

Aug 10, 2010

I was so skeptical of Pushed and put off reading it for a few years but I LOVED IT. A little dense at times but very well annotated. Starts off with facts while the second half of the book has more anecdotes. Almost as good as The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, and not as biased as you might think. Of course you may know that I am pretty biased, so maybe take that with a grain of salt coming from me. I don't actually know if Jennifer Block even has kids but she is a scrupulous researcher if not the most polished writer. I couldn't put the book down, even despite phrases like "the ecstatic/painful mother-baby dance" of labor or "Oxytocin is but one hormone in the bath of birth" (yeah, she wrote that). I thought I had researched almost everything on the subject but she brought new light to it for me. I have about 50 Post-Its in the book, marking spots that I want to record for my own info and use.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushed.