Heather's Reviews > Death du Jour

Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs

Mar 01, 08

Read in February, 2008

***SPOILER ALERT***
This author annoys me. This story was WAY too similar to the first book. Best friend missing to sister missing...intruder in house? oh, just a cat on fire...and all that crap about some buzzing in her memory cells all the time! I also get tried of all the metaphors, but that was better in this book at least. So far I just find the writing amateurish and it feels like she's trying too hard.
I also HATED the ending. We did not get to see any of the links unfold, she just summed it up for the reader through conversations in the last chapter, and one conversation didn't even make sense! Waaaaaaay too easy. After reading the entire book I totally felt GYPPED that I was left out of the 'solving' part of the book.
I think that one reason this author, or this series, annoys me so much is because I watch the series 'Bones' and LOVE IT! The series is LOOSELY based on these books, at least as far as I've read in the series I don't see that many similarities, especially in Brennan. Personality is just off and I have a hard time with that, since I'm an avid watcher of the tv shower. And finally, do all these murder myster 'solvers' have to be recovering alcoholics? That just irritates me too!
Overall I liked the story, and there are some positives to her writing, but the ending really ruined this book for me. I'll try another, my fingers stay crossed that it will get better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death du Jour.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marianne For once we totally agree, although for different reasons :) And we rated it the same LOL!

Emmelia There is nothing similar in the first book to this one. There are new characters, the reason is different for killings. What really helped me understand these books was reading them after I took chemistry and anatomy and Physiology.

message 3: by Leon (new)

Leon Aldrich When there are SO many great novels to choose from, I couldn't get past the bad writing in book #1. Her writing in this second novel has improved a hundred fold though. But I think I'll stick with Michael Connelly for now.

Tommy Marx This was extremely annoying to me too. Substitute "best friend" for previously unmentioned "sister". Incorporate four or five completely different death scenes than reveal that they're all related in ways that make no logical sense. And cat bones? Really?