Tina (Fantastic Book Review)'s Reviews > Deception

Deception by Lee Nichols

Oct 03, 10

bookshelves: ghost, paranormal
Read in September, 2010

I have not read that many ghost books, but DECEPTION surprised me on so many levels. Once Emma is carted off to Maine, that’s when this book kicks into high gear. Emma is one of those characters that you can’t help but love. She’s different of course since she can see ghosts but her personality makes you want to hang out with her. She’s quite independent but vulnerable at the same time. I don’t know how many times I laughed at the things that went on inside Emma’s head. From her crush on heart throb Bennett to her thoughts on the ghosts that surround her, I couldn’t get enough of Emma.

There was one scene in this book that spooked me out so bad, I had goose bumps. I’m not going to say which to keep from being spoilery but it’s enough for anyone to think they belong in a mad house. But Emma is quite mature and handled these strange events in her life pretty well considering the cause. Any ghost story is enough to spook me but DECEPTION is different in the sense that along with Emma being a ghostkeeper and her abilities to see ghost and feel what they felt makes this book unique. I love the ghosts that Emma meets at the Museum. From the handsome rake, to the little urchin boy, to the motherly maid, these characters felt as real as the person standing next to me.

DECEPTION is a great start to a ghostly series filled with lovable characters, mystery, romance, and chilling moments. I can’t wait to see what BETRAYAL, the second installment in this series, has in store for Emma and Bennett. Readers looking for something that keeps you peeking in the shadows at night or just for something different should check out this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception.

09/20/2010 page 90