Debby's Reviews > Against Medical Advice: One Family's Struggle with an Agonizing Medical Mystery

Against Medical Advice by James Patterson

Aug 10, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, 5-star-books
Read from August 08 to 10, 2010

This is the true story of Cory Friedmand's 13 year hellish battle with and hard-fought effort to overcome Tourette's Syndrome, OCD and Anxiety Disorder, was written by James Patterson and Hal Friedman, Cory's father.
Way too often people look at behavior they observe and judge as if they have all the info and answers when in fact, they know NOTHING of what this person or this family are battling and enduring. I found it very difficult to think bout putting myself in the shoes of Cory or his parents or his sister and wonder how I'd respond if this was me, my child or my brother suffers like this.
Against Medical Advice is phenomenal and well worth reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against Medical Advice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karendenice (new) - added it

Karendenice I have never heard of this book, Debby. Payday is in a few weeks and THIS BOOK is going to be added to the top of the buy bext list. I can hardly wait to read it. Thanks for the review.

Debby I can't stop thinking about and talking about the impact this book had on me. It especially opened my eyes to how OCD (and the medications given to "treat" this mental illness) affects not only the individual, but also the family, as well as the hard work it takes to manage OCD and hopefuly overcome it.
This is a book I will definitely be reading again. I hope you find it as eye-opening as I did.

message 3: by Karendenice (new) - added it

Karendenice I have a sister who has a small version of OCD. She used to be really, really bad. She's not on any medication, but she's a whole lot better. She swore that she would never have a dog. Now she has one. She lets it kiss her face and sleep in bed with her. This from someone who made her bed first thing every morning, didn't sit on it, or allow anyone else to after she made or even before. She would shower sometimes 3 to 5 times a day. She wouldn't even let her husband get in her bed at night until he had showered (he works in an office and takes one every morning). Thank God she is 99% better. It's going to be very hard not to get this book til next month!

message 4: by Petra X (new)

Petra X I have a nephew with Tourette's and various other syndromes. I've always wanted to know what the effectss of Tourette's alone are, since he uses it as an excuse for everything he doesn't want to do, including never working. Perhaps I am being unkind. Perhaps this book will explain it to me. One funny but irritating thing is that whenever he gets together with other Touretters for conferences and get-togethers, he comes back with loads of extra tics.

Debby I found this book extremely insighful, at least from the perspective of one kid's experience. I had never heard of wsomeone in essence turning his life around by choosing to make every effort to get better. I have a son who suffers greatly with what is called Purely Obessessional OCD and various anxiety disorders. I've told him about this book and about what hell this kid went through due to high doses of anti-psychotics, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. Sometimes I do wonder if they make it all worse rather than better. Like what you said about how your nephew comes back from gatherings with more tics.
I'd really be interested to hear your viewpoint on the book if you read it. It's not a long book and it really is very interesting! Some of the stuff his parents went through with this kid from the age of 12-17 were unbelievable. I'm not sure I'd have been as patient or loving through all of it.
Take care and keep in touch!