Amanda Mastran's Reviews > God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It

God's Politics by Jim Wallis

Aug 10, 10

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

I truly enjoyed this book when I read it. Although I agree with other reviewer's that Wallis has a tendency to oversimplify complex social and political issues, I also feel that politicians and media like to over-complicate those some issues, so perhaps some simplification is in order.

What stuck with me most from this book were Wallis' many examples of how a shared vision could create common ground for Dems and Reps to truly work together to create workable solutions to real problems, even on some of our country's most seemingly polarized issues, such as abortion. I may not agree with all of Wallis' opinions, but I do like his arguments.

However, my opinion of this book has been tainted by a bad experience with the author himself. I had the opportunity to listen to Wallis speak at a conference and to ask him a question. Wallis speaks often about how the majority of religions represented in our country share common morals, supporting his Judeo-Christian vision. I asked him how a political vision with an overtly religious basis could include, rather than alienate atheists and agnostics who are just as much a part of our country's social/moral/political tradition.

Instead of answering my question, Wallis launched into an anecdote about how he once prayed with leaders of three different religions in a jail cell. The story had nothing to do with atheists or agnostics in the least, leaving me feeling ignored and dismissed. Unfortunately, I think that is how Wallis' political vision would leave those in our country who do not practice a religion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Politics.