Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Foresight: The Gods of Fate - Book I

Foresight by Sherry D. Ficklin

Aug 15, 10

Read from August 10 to 11, 2010

I love mythology of all different origins and after reading the description of this book I was eager to give it a go. I haven’t read many modern fictional stories containing gods and goddesses (the only one that comes to mind is the middle grade Percy Jackson series) and was delighted that the author was using this subject as a basis for a young adult series. The story starts very quickly and throws the reader into the midst of a plot filled with action. I love that any background information we need to know is given to us as it’s given to the main character, so we are learning what’s going on right along with her.

There are a lot of different characters in this book, so some of them are only able to make brief appearances; I hope to see many of them expanded on in the future books in the series. The love interest, Chris, is one character that remains a bit mysterious and I want to know more about him and where he comes from, what his story is. The main character, Grace, is a determined young hero and her decision making is what drives the story along. Her decisions have dire consequences to herself and those around her and one of those decisions is left open for the next in the series which is intriguing.

Grace learns who she really is, a crucial element for any coming of age novel, and even though this is a fantasy, all of the elements put together seem real. The bits and pieces we get of all of the characters are enough to assemble a real cast of characters that could eventually span a lifetime of stories. The author has chosen a great storyline to weave in countless characters, plots, problems and disasters, love, wars, and parallel worlds. It wasn’t bogged down with too much description, something that can drive me crazy in other fantasy stories. The only drawback to the book is that it was over too quickly for me. I could have eagerly read another couple hundred pages and still want more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foresight.

08/10/2010 page 110