Roberta's Reviews > God on Mute: Engaging the Silence of Unanswered Prayer

God on Mute by Pete Greig

Sep 03, 10

Read from August 10 to September 03, 2010

I really enjoyed the vulnerability of the author and his candid way of describing just how hard unanswered prayer can be. In my own life I have been dealing with unanswered prayer for over 3 years. You do wonder where is God and how can He leave me this way for so long?

I loved how he used Jesus journey from Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and eventually Easter Sunday to contrast our own suffering and loneliness that can accompany unanswered prayer. The part of the book that really spoke to me was Holy Saturday. Here is a brief quote where I think Greig makes an excellent point. "Holy Saturday seems to me to describe the place in which many of us live our lives: waiting for God to speak. We know that Jesus died for us yesterday. We trust that there may be miracles tomorrow. But what of today - this eternal Sabbath where heaven is silent? Where, we wonder, is God now?"

The most practical bit of advice I can take away from this book is that in light of unanswered prayer my response should be to immerse myself even more in the Word of God. "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of God stands forever" ~ Isaiah 40:8.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God on Mute.