Zeek's Reviews > Drop Dead Gorgeous

Aug 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: favorite-author-all-time, contemp-rom, rom-suspense
Read in January, 2007

Dead Gorgeous- the continuation of the Blair and Wyatt show (mostly Blair Show) started in To Die For.

I am a Linda Howard fangirl all the way. I started reading her books ages ago with Heart of Fire. Back then her men were sexy, smart and strong- as were her women. Her plots were exciting- if fairly the same. Still, she had a way of making them into page turners and all night reads. I read her entire backlist and auto-bought her new releases. Sad to say, since Mr. Perfect, this has all changed for me.

DDG, like To Die For, is a big change for her in that she writes them in first person. But that isn’t what bugged me about them. The problem is, I don’t like Blair much. Oh she's smart, independent and yes funny (favorite line? And I paraphrase, "Asshole men. Hey, No need to be redundant."- wait Blair didn’t even say that! Never mind.)- I just found Blair to be too much. Her smart ass ways worked on my nerves fast and it took me a couple days to pick the book back up after I set it down.

Yet, there was parts of DDG I liked. The part that grabbed me the most was when she had her big fight with Wyatt- although, I thought his reaction over the top to her constantly calling him because she suspected foul play. (She was almost run over by someone, for crying out loud!)

However, her reaction to their fight was the first serious and real reaction from her. It felt more real than all the smarty-pants ‘tude she put out. (Hey, who hasn’t thought of ditching their man after they shot you full of holes with their careless words? THAT’S real, Man!)

Anyway, in the end, the conflict seemed a bit forced to me- you have to suspend belief that someone could have THREE people try to kill them in one lifetime to make this work- but the identity of the attempted murderer did catch me by surprise. Oh I figured out that we “met” the person early on- I just didn’t know what their true identity was until the revelation.

I’m giving this one 3 out of 5- just because I’m so pissed at LH for no longer writing the stories I used to love and adore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drop Dead Gorgeous.

04/28/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Bark's Book Nonsense (last edited Aug 10, 2010 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bark's Book Nonsense OMG, this book got on my last nerve. I think Howard should stick to her alpha stories of old and stop trying to work the humor angle.

Zeek word.