Susan Mann's Reviews > By Midnight

By Midnight by Mia James

Oct 01, 10

Read from August 10 to 24, 2010

I was in a brief reading slump before reading this book, I was just struggling to get into anything and enjoy it. Then I started By Midnight and things changed. I loved the book, I related to April, I was just back from London and reading about the places I had visited, I missed out of Highgate Cemetery but next time it's top of my list. Plus coming from Scotland, I know Edinburgh very well, so it was nice reading a book based in places I was familiar with.
April went through a tough time, leaving her best friend in Edinburgh and trying to fit into a new school, which is more than a little strange. She isn't all the close to her mother, she has no brothers and sisters, her dad is the light of her life and she looses him. All of which I can sympathise.
She makes some good but not necessarily the right friends, some are right some way wrong but lets face it we all do when trying to fit in. By Midnight, has a slightly different take from the vampires that are about just now, more of the traditional blood drinking, fang producing types.
This book goes into the history of Highgate and the surrounding area, which is really interesting and I started to think of it as fact rather than fiction to begin with or wish.
I have to say I felt disappointed with the ending to this book, I loved it but I felt the ending was a little rushed. Too much drama all at once. Thankfully there is a second book, which I cannot wait to read. I want to hear what is going to happen next with Gabriel and April, she deserves something good in her life.

I would thoroughly recommend this book and please hurry up with the second in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Midnight.