Mordena's Reviews > Front and Center

Front and Center by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

U 50x66
Aug 10, 2010

Hmm, it's maybe more of a 3 1/2 star book. I don't do well with the star thing. Anyway, pluses: DJ's voice continues to be so real and compelling and utterly charming, self-effacing and believable, you have to love her. Minuses: the big one for me is the timing of this as a series-as-a-whole. This one takes up mere seconds after The Off Season ends, which took up right after Dairy Queen. I kept having to remind myself that Win's accident had only been a few months ago, that the training summer with Brian had only been three months ago. And the emotional growth, not just of DJ but of all her family and friends, in that short a time period, just seems improbable. How did Brian get so mature in what? Two weeks? How does Win cope with the huge changes in his life SO FAST? Maybe I'm quibbling, but a few months passing between books would have helped me. Also, I had really liked the great-but-sometimes-a-jerk dynamic of Brian, and with all his jerkiness magically gone, I actually MISSED it, go figure.

Maybe it comes down to: DJ seems so real, I wanted everyone around her to be equally real, as they mostly were in past books. However, STILL a really fun, thoughtful and engaging read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Front and Center.