Natha Anderson's Reviews > How the García Girls Lost Their Accents

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

U_50x66
Aug 09, 10

Read in July, 2010

Enjoyable young adult book (well, I don't know if it should be considered young adult...I can see a high school student enjoying it but also an adult...) - but the story is not complete and I HATE THAT! Julia Alvarez always seems to have multiple narrators and with some books I like it (for example The Help by ummm Katherine - well, I cannot remember her last name) in this book it is o.k. but not great. I think I would have liked the same narrator the whole time. I realize there would have been some scenes not as clear, but other scenes would have been explained completely.
I did like the historical information/allusions to the Dominican Republic as it reminded me to feel blessed for the freedoms we have (dang, that sounds preachy!) But I felt like there were three or four storylines which were never complete...for example, what happens to Yolanda after the peach expedition? It is in the first chapter but then never mentioned again. There were some comical scenes but I wish there were more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the García Girls Lost Their Accents.