Jennifer's Reviews > Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite-series, fiction, manga, read-in-2012, urban-fantasy, young-adult
Recommended for: fans of the original VA novels
Read on January 02, 2012, read count: 1

I was really looking forward to the graphic novel adaption of one of my favorite series. Finally some artwork to admire and accompany the story. I found myself largely disappointed however. The artwork is beautiful but the novel adaption is sparse and choppy. The story jumps around so much I wonder how those who haven't read the novel first will follow the story. The adaption felt exactly like most movie adaptions of a book which leave out the best parts and seem to speed through the main body of the work giving only a fleeting, breakneck glimpse of the actual story.

Will I buy and read the second graphic novel if it's ever released? Yeah. Because I love the novels that much. However, if I hadn't first read the novels I wouldn't be following the graphic novels. I can't help but compare this with the graphic novel adaption of the Artemis Fowl series - which was the perfect graphic adaption and the rubric by which I measure all other adaptions these days. VA definitely falls far short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.