Sophie's Reviews > Mr. Monster

Mr. Monster by Dan Wells

Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, 2010, adult-fiction, mystery-crime-fiction, urban-fantasy, horror
Read from September 18 to 23, 2010

I have to imagine that the author bristles every time someone makes a comparison to our favorite television serial killer, but it's true - Mr. Monster reads like Dexter meets Supernatural. Which kinda works. John, the neighborhood teenage sociopath, is intriguing and rather noble (usually); the bad guy is decidedly bad (and twisted, evil and other very unpleasant things); and the ending was... promising.

I have a hard time giving more than three stars to either John Cleaver book because they're a little high on the disturbing scale. But after the ending to Mr. Monster, I'm definitely excited to see what comes next. I Don't Want to Kill You is at the top of my to-read list.

Update: The novel inspired me to pick up the Dexter book series - I've been watching the TV show - and I must apologize profusely to Dan Wells for the comparison. Jeff Lindsay's serial monstrosity is exceptionally bad fiction, and while I hold by the rather favorable parallels between the TV show and John Cleaver, there is absolutely none where Lindsay's novels are concerned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Monster.