Michael Barnette's Reviews > A Hymn Before Battle

A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo

M 50x66
Aug 24, 10

Read from August 09 to 23, 2010

I just finished 'A Hymn Before Battle' and I have to say I greatly enjoyed the book.

The first half was beyond slow. Not much happened other than character introductions and a lot of people talking, which bugged the crap out of me since it rode along on the rule about never doing 'info dumps' in fiction. The action in the last half more than made up for the slow start/info dumping. Granted it wasn't done like a new author's info dumps, but still... On the other hand, I can understand why Ringo did it, there was a LOT of info needed to set up the series, and this book did that well. (But it was still -slow- reading.)

Without giving spoilers, I will say there are character deaths, near deaths and some people you might wish -would- die who don't. (Irritating politicos and others of those ilk.)

Some of my favorite--and characters obviously not among the 'main' ones--died, but this is John Ringo, you sort of expect casualties in the story. It's about war, and in war people do die.

In summary, great book! If you're a military scifi fan then this is right up there with the 'must reads' in the genre.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hymn Before Battle.