Chris's Reviews > The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin

Aug 10, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-humor, fantasy-fairy-tales-influ

This is the third Rankin book that I have read, and I still don't know if I like him.

Rankin's ideas and titles are great, brillant, wonderful, yet there is something off about the books, something that doesn't quite fit, something that doesn't work. Perhaps it is the length, maybe if the book was shorter there wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps it because it feels as if Rankin is trying too hard to be funny and uses running gags that run too far.

This book makes good use of nursey rhymes and toys. At times it is almost as good as Terry Pratchett, but only almost and then only for a couple pages. The age of Jack, 13, doesn't make sense unless, Rankin is trying to shock people or make use feel icky. It doesn't work. If a character is going to have underage sex, and if you are going to use underage sex as a selling point, than make the character act underage, not 25.

There are some good parts, like how the some people are killed, Jack's reaction to the city, the use of plot and what should happen. The book is a somewhat amusing read, but not great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse.