Gmr's Reviews > Wicked Girls: A Novel of the Salem Witch Trials

Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill

Aug 12, 10

Read from August 09 to 12, 2010

One of my first YA where the book was written in prose, I have to say....I'm not a huge fan of the style, though it worked well enough for this tale. This is a fictionalization of the events that were historically documented so long ago in Salem. The fiction aspect is used to fill in the blanks so to speak on their daily lives and seemingly insignificant happenings, though as you read, you begin to understand that everything they did had a greater meaning than at first glance. What starts out as child's play quickly develops into something much bigger then themselves...something of which in time, most wish they never had a hand in.

For me, the characters were a tad hard to connect with on an individual level; something I've read the author struggled with during the editing process. Only thing is, even though it presented a struggle when trying to hear each voice separately, it worked in a way since the girls intended to move as a group. Bonus points to the author for including the real stories in brief of each main character and those accused upon books end. A good read for those in favor of the poetic style as well as those bewitched (pardon the pun) with the magical history from our own shores....happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Girls.

08/09/2010 page 136
33.0% "Started this in the hopes of finishing for a Friday the 13th post...from the way the story flows (unexpectedly fast), I think I'll make it no problem! So far....interesting in sights..."
08/12/2010 page 316
76.0% "So close...so close! Slighty improved opinion of the book and definitely another view on thei actions now.... *reading*"