Chris Latko's Reviews > Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer--America's Deadliest Serial Murderer

Green River, Running Red by Ann Rule

Aug 20, 10

Read from August 09 to 20, 2010

Another G-Rated true crime book. I read Dave Reichart's perspective of the story before Rule's. He was the lead detective on the case for the first several years and was the one to recover most of the bodies. Rule downplay's Reicharts role in everything, glosses over important facts dealing with dismemberment or necrophilia or vocation of the victims.

One particularly disturbing part of the GRK story has to do with a prostitute's pimp and her father tracking down the real killer somewhere around 1983 (almost 20 years before an arrest is made). Well, Rule considered the man the be the prostitutes boyfriend, left it at that. Reichart goes into the relationship in some detail.

Rule tries too hard to make all the victims too nice to be involved in prostitution and doesn't really go into the shadier details of what happens in that industry. Reichart's book is much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green River, Running Red.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amber I agree. I found it preposterous that she didn't talk about the fact that a large percentage of girls who become prostitutes were sexually abused as children. I feel like she probably didn't mention it because it would have possibly offended the families that cooperated with her in the making of her book. But as someone who studied psychology, she has to know that it compromised her telling of the story, right?