Dan Schwent 's Reviews > Devil Red

Devil Red by Joe R. Lansdale

Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: lansdale, 2011, hick-lit
Read from March 14 to 20, 2011

While working with their detective friend Marvin Hanson, Hap and Leonard are tasked with solving a cold-case, a double homicide involving a rich woman's son and his vampire-ish girlfriend. The trail leads them up against a deadly hit man they dub Devil Red. Can Hap and Leonard, in all his deerstalker-wearing finery, find Devil Red before they become his next victims?

Hap and Leonard are so bad ass their bad ass has to wear a suit and tie. Sorry, inside joke. In Devil Red, Lansdale dusts off Hap and Leonard and turns them loose going 100 MPH. I devoured this book in one sitting. As usual, there is a ton of dark humor, sex, and a dump truck full of violence. As usual, the tension mounts until the big shoot out at the end. I had an inkling of who was behind Devil Red but it seemed so absurd that I discounted it.

As always, Hap and Leonard were in fine form. Marvin Hanson continues to be one of the more memorable members of the supporting cast. Cason seemed like Lansdale was grooming him to be a recurring supporting character. (view spoiler) The running gag with Leonard wearing the deerstalker cap was my favorite part of the story.

So why only a four? It was too damn short, just over 200 pages. I felt like I was just getting into it and then it was over. (view spoiler) All things considered, it was a worthwhile addition to the Hap and Leonard canon. If you liked the others, you'll like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil Red.

Quotes Dan Liked

Joe R. Lansdale
“They might have been all-right people doing the best they could, but I got to tell you, you got a dead cat lying in your yard you ought to bury it. That’s my motto.”
Joe R. Lansdale, Devil Red

03/20/2011 page 33
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I'm curious about your reaction to this latest installment. I burned through most of the series in a single go, and tired after Captains Outrageous. Still haven't decided if I'll pick up the series again.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Vanilla Ride was a hell of a lot better than Captains Outrageous. I have high hopes for this one as well.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Nice. Thanks for the good word, I'll definitely look into VR.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah - I've heard the VR is awesome. Have it on my shelf, but haven't read it yet.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Nice review. Now I'm getting excited about these books again. Methinks VR will make a good spring book.

By the way: Love how you read DR in one sitting. Isn't reading from cover-to-cover one of life's wonderful indulgences?

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Daniel wrote: "Love how you read DR in one sitting. Isn't reading from cover-to-cover one of li..."

Damn right it is! After a six hour drive home from Arkansas yesterday, Devil Red was the only thing on my agenda.

Godzilla I too stumbled a bit with Captains Outrageous, and worried that the magic was gone. However Vanilla Ride was a triumphant return to form and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Devil Red too!

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Godzilla wrote: "I too stumbled a bit with Captains Outrageous, and worried that the magic was gone. However Vanilla Ride was a triumphant return to form and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Devil Red too!"

Devil Red is better than Captains but way too short.