Angie's Reviews > Keys to the Demon Prison

Keys to the Demon Prison by Brandon Mull

Aug 09, 2010

bookshelves: juvenile-fic, fantasy
Read in August, 2010

Great ending to a fun series.

A couple of quotes I liked:

"Making mistakes is part of learning to choose well. No way around it. Choices are thrust upon us, and we don't always get things right. Even postponing or avoiding a decision can become a choice that carries heavy consequences. Mistakes can be painful--sometimes they cause irrevocable harm. But welcome to Earth. Poor choices are part of growing up, and part of life. You will make bad choices, and you will be affected by the poor choices of others. We must rive above such things." (279)

This one won't make sense unless you've read the scene. But I liked this scene. This scene ... I could have done with MORE of this scene.
"Seth turned to go. 'I'd prefer it if this were the last time we have to speak.' 'With no disrespect intended, I would prefer the same.'" (507)

I do have to be honest, though. If it wasn't for where he lives I might not have tried this series. Or kept up with it. All the different creatures CAN get a little confusing and start to bog down the reader. This one comes in at almost 600 pages. There is a fine line between elaborating enough on the story to not feel rushed ... and just writing too much for a juvenile fic novel.

That said ... I won't be giving up on this author any time soon. And neither will all of my students who love the books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keys to the Demon Prison.