Crystal's Reviews > The Man in the Iron Mask

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas

Sep 08, 10

Read from August 25 to September 03, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I started this book with high hopes. In the beginning it was my favorite of the trilogy, probably because it contained less French history that the reader was assumed to be familiar with (and I wasn't). I found the book depressing and anti-climatic for the series. Part of the bias may be since I had watched the movie "Man with the Iron Mask" and was already fond of its plot as well as the scene of a last chance for the four musketeers to show their honor and risk their lives to defend the rightful or just king. The book, in fact, had very little to do with the man in the iron mask. After mastering the plan that destroyed the life of the unfortunate brother, as well as condemned him to wear the mask in the first place, (and mostly for selfish reasons) they continue going through a series of adventures or misfortunes, mostly stemming from their own bad choices. There is also a note of anti-feminism in this novel, where the mistress of Roul is condemned for his death, when he intentially put himself in harms way attempting a "gallant" suicide. When it comes to the main characters deaths in the end, they are bizarre and without substance. It seems that after devoting three novels to these characters, that they are killed off conveinantly when their "time" comes like a expendable character. The legacy of these novels seem to have more substance than the actual novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the Iron Mask.