Malbadeen's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Aug 09, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, childrens-young-adult
Read in August, 2010

There were things about this book that I thought were more 4 star-ish but the overall feeling and the ending pushed it to 5 for me.

While Charley didn't actively seek out situations, he was open to just about anything that came his way. This openness combined with his fragility is what killed me about Charley and reminded me how vulnerable we are as teens.

There is a scene were two people have sex in front of Charley, it's not gratuitous at all but I hated it. I hated how it reminded me of the shit we do/see as kids and just ho-hum it off. And hating it drew me closer to Charley and his story. I moved forward with a little knot in my stomach but I moved forward.

I also loved Charley's portrayal of his family. He loved them but still exposed their flaws.

I thought his friends were a little too wise and full of pithy remarks at times but all of this was forgiven, when in the end Charlies vulnerability is explained.

I could see how some people wouldn't like this book, maybe get caught up on the wise friend thing or think Charley was too self-aware but it felt real enough to me and I especially liked one of the last lines,"maybe it's good to put things in perspective but sometimes I think that the only perspective is to really be there."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.